Sunday, June 19, 2011

QoGS

Lately, I feel like the Queen of Granny Squares.

Living so far away, I really feel disconnected from family and friends.  I also love sending people things in the mail, ever since a special someone sent me cookies at a terrible time in my life last year.  Spreading joy through the US Postal Service is a great way to keep in touch with people I care about back in Pennsylvania.

Back in March during a visit with my Mother's family, my cousin Mark and his wife Heather announced their first baby would be born late this summer.  Having JUST learned how amazingly fun crochet is, I decided to set to work creating a blanket for baby!

The hardest part:  Heather doesn't want to know the gender of her baby.  She is decorating with a theme that would suit either a boy or a girl.  I find this very progressive and interesting, considering we live in a day and age when some women put so much stock in the gender of their child they do crazy things to achieve their coveted boy or girl.  I won't go into it, but I might decide to do the same as Heather if I'm ever (super accidentally) having a baby. On second thought, I'm not very good at waiting for news like that.

So this is what I came up with:

The pattern is:  Carseat Blanket by Mary Ellen Wells.  I used Acrylic yarns because babies are messy.
Caron One pound Makes up the blue border and various colorways of Vanna's Choice make up the centers. All in all, it cost a little more than $50 dollars for the yarn, but I had plently left over, and I'm making a hexagon afghan for myself with them.  I bought an extra shade for mine, a really girlie pink.

Its not even close to done, but here is the pattern: hexagon how-to.  Pics soon, it's going really fast, maybe it'll be done by Zach's birthday?

Ravelry project link.

No comments:

Post a Comment