Monday, December 31, 2012

Last post in 2012

As you all know, the world did not end in 2012 like it was supposed to.  That means it's time to write another post, as requested.

So what have I been up to since my last post, way way back in probably October?

Well there was Thanksgiving:


In which I made a turkey using a dry-brine method (which turned out quite nicely) but forgot to take any pictures of it before it was eaten.

Then there was our wreath-making party, orchestrated mainly by my Jewish friend Anika (pictured above at the end of the table) who naturally has more Christmas spirit than I do.  



The wreaths turned out pretty well, in fact:


 If you want to make your own wreaths at some point in the future, it is apparently very easy to go to Christmas tree lots and ask for their trimmings.  I didn't participate in this part of the wreath process, but they will give you some branches for free since they need to get rid of them.  You're on your own for the decorations, though.

There were some awesome Christmas presents like this sweatshirt from Threadless that the Roskos sent to me:



I've also been knitting and crocheting (and hiking past the snow line):

A Christmas miracle:  I finally got a haircut from someone who didn't ruin my hair!

This pattern is the second version of a headband I made way back in 2010 that didn't work out too well back then:  Maner Headband.  It's pretty easy for a beginner. I used some Plymouth Boku and a size 8 16" circular needle to complete it this time.  If I had to guess, I'd say I used color number 08. This yarn is pretty, but really, really itchy.  I would only recommend using Boku if you are making something that won't touch your skin, like the knitted bag I'm currently working on in color number 11(maybe. it's so hard to tell from the pictures).

I also completed an entire semester of pottery class, working on throwing, but this time also focusing more on hand-building items and being slightly more adventurous  in the things I made.

A present I made for Zach.  Don't ask me why those skeleton stamps even exist.

Favorite moments from 2012:

Terrariums with friends.

Falling in love with giant sunflowers.

Kale Chips

This tasty meal.

Balloon's most gorgeous photo shoot.

Spending time in the tropics with my husband!

So what's my New Year's Resolution?  I am going to knit as much as I currently use the internet, which is a lot.  On Ravelry, I have almost 300 items in my queue (which, if you don't know, is a list of patterns you intend to make) some of them have been there since 2010 or earlier.  I really want to get knitting and make as many of them as possible before my wrists give out.

Have a happy 2013 everyone.

2 comments:

  1. Happy new year!
    One of my highlights from 2012 was my visit to Portland :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I forgot that I had to look up a picture of you guys and add it! It was a great time, hope you enjoyed it.

      Delete