Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Things we eat in the future: Kale Chips.

Ms. T's recent post about store-bought kale chips inspired me to make some of my own.  I read a little bit about them a few months ago, but was too scared that I would hate them so I never bothered.  I keep reading posts and articles about how people love kale chips, so I needed to make them.

Good news:  I have a garden full of purple kale that I have no idea what to do with.  

And you're like, "LOL, hippie, why would I eat a kale chip?"  It's like flat, green popcorn, that's why.  Crunchy, low-cal, high in Calcium (which all of us ladies need).  

How?

Preheat your oven to 300F.

Kut up your kale (1 bunch to start) into bite-sized pieces.  Remove the center rib.  Or don't.  Whatever. Toss with olive oil and salt, or add some more things (garlic powder?  seasoning salt?)

Place in a single layer on a baking sheet like so:


This tray is ready to go into the oven.  Check them after 10 minutes.  Should be crisp, but not burned.  If they're still flexible, put them back in and check again.  

Results:  



Better news:  you can crumble them and use them as a topping for other munchies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment