Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Cheeseless Nacho Cheese - How'd I do that?

While shopping in the Whole Foods Bulk aisle, I made an astonishing purchase:  Nutritional Yeast.  Wait, what?

Nutritional Yeast is inactivated yeast fortified with B vitamins that is rich in protein. Its sold in flakes or powder.  If you're a vegan and you're not eating this, you probably should be. It has a nutty, cheesy aroma and if someone just told you it was cheese sauce mix, you'd probably believe them.  Its shockingly flavorful, and its used in a lot of cheese additions.

I know you've had vegan cheese before, probably to your disappointment. This recipe, with some changes, is amazing as nacho cheese.  It fooled even me, and I made it.  I replaced 2/3 of the water with almond milk, rather than soy as many people had suggested, and added the tumeric.  Soy margarine was used this time but could probably be replaced with either oil or butter.

The result of this recipe will have you baffled.  Its so damn close to cheesy sauce you might not even miss it.

2 comments:

  1. I always see them at the bulk section, but passed on them because they don't look appetizing. If this can taste just like cheese sauce, I might have to try it out. And I can save my money for better 'artisanal' cheeses that will not go into a cheese sauce ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does taste shockingly like cheese. I'd probably still choose real cheese sauce if I could, but I can't, so this is a great substitute.

    ReplyDelete